In sports, teams tend to start strong but lose momentum later. Analyzing the goals in the first and second halves helps understand the game’s flow.
A common scenario in Soccer sees a team start slow during the first half of the fixture, then fire up scoring-wise in the latter. In the five years from 2016-2017 to 2020-2021, Premier League recorded 55.4% of their goals more during the 2nd half of the games.
Check out the soccer goal statistics of 1st and 2nd halves today to understand why teams have fluctuating scores and goals this season.
- During the first and second halves, 75% of goals are scored.
- Singapore Premier League 2023 scored the most goals with 47% home wins.
- Cristiano Ronaldo scored the most, with 122 total, in his career.
- Skeid 2 is the most prolific scoring team after making goals twice in the first half.
- Germany’s Bundesliga scored a second-half goal of 2.10 in the 2023 season.
- Erling Haland set the record for most second-half goals with 35.
- The EPL’s 87% of 167 goals were scored within the penalty area.
- Over 2.5 goals are consistently scored in Premier League matches.
- With 1,815 bookings, La Liga is one of Europe’s top five leagues this season.
Overview of 1st and 2nd Half Soccer Goals
In the first and second half goals betting markets, you must correctly predict the number of goals scored for one-half by examining the statistics, like the matches played, to fully grasp the information you need for betting.
Let’s explore the Soccer statistics for first-half and second-half goals below.
1st Half Soccer Goal Statistics
Traditionally, it has been assumed that the second period sees an increase in goal statistics.
The first half is the phase where both teams find their rhythm, while the second is believed to be when resilient defenses are overcome. Then attackers can successfully make a goal.
Learn about the first-half soccer goal statistics that will serve as your guide for the next betting game.
1. 75% of goals are scored in a match’s first and last 5 minutes.
(Global Futbol Training)
There is a tendency for a majority of goals to be scored in the first half, constituting approximately 75% of the total goals.
This inclination arises due to certain factors observed at the end of each half. During these initial stages, some players may need more focus or confidence, potentially impacting their ability to contribute to goal-scoring opportunities effectively.
2. Singapore Premier League has the most goals in the first half, with 47% home wins in the 2022-2023 season.
With a total of 58 games played in the current Singapore Premier League season, the distribution of results is the following:
- Home wins: 27 or 47%
- Draws: 5 or 9%
- Away wins: 26 or 45%
- Goals: 224 or 3.86 per game.
Regarding the specific metric of goals at half-time, it was observed that in 54 out of the 58 games, more than 0.5 goals were scored by the time half-time arrived.
3. Cristiano Ronaldo scored the most in his playing career during the first half with 122 goals.
Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal has proven an excellent force in international men’s football, gathering a remarkable tally of 122 goals in 198 matches.
Since his debut for the Portuguese National Team in 2003, Ronaldo has consistently demonstrated his ability to find the back of the net. Moreover, he has the distinction of achieving ten hat tricks, the highest in international football.
4. Skeid 2 earned two consistent goals in the first half, making the most team to score.
(A Football Report)
Over the last course of ten games, Skeid reached two consistent goals in the first half, recording the following:
- 22 goals in the first half of the 2023 season
- 1.5 goals per game in the first half
OBOS-ligaen’s Skeid football squad has demonstrated a remarkable ability to score goals in the first half of matches. They have consistently displayed a solid attacking presence in the early parts of games, scoring early on.
Statistics on 2nd Half Soccer Goals
Scoring frequency in the 2nd half has two core factors.
- First, teams often experience fatigue as games progress, which leads to defensive errors and attacking opportunities.
- Second, teams adopt a more attacking approach in the later stages of matches driven by a desire to secure a win.
Most goals are scored in half rather than in the opening period of matches. Discover the 2nd half goal statistics below.
5. All divisions earned a total of 56.6% of goals scored in the 2nd half.
Between the 2016-2017 to 2020-2021 football seasons, goal percentages for the first half are about 44.3% and 56.6% in the second.
These are the following divisions that are included in the statistics:
- Premier League
- League One
- League Two
With a difference of 2,949, the number of goals for each half is as follows:
- 11,415 for the first half
- 14,354 for the second half
6. Germany Bundesliga averages 2.10 in second-half goals in the 2023 season.
Out of 200 total matches, there were a total of 419 goals scored in the second half. The German Bundesliga is renowned as one of the top soccer leagues globally, featuring top-tier teams and players and the highest average attendance, among other notable aspects.
Bayern Munich achieved an impressive feat, as they managed to score in 87 consecutive matches. This remarkable run began with the following:
- 0-0 draw against RB Leipzig in February 2020
- It concluded with a 1-0 loss to Augsburg in September 2022.
7. The record for the most 2nd-half goals was earned by Erling Haaland, with 35.
Haaland’s second-half goal in Manchester City’s 33rd match against West Ham guaranteed victory and catapulted him over two famous figures in Premier League history.
With his 35th goal, Haaland broke Alan Shearer’s previous record of 34 goals in a single Premier League season.
8. Denmark Division Relegation Group Football scored the most in the 2nd half.
In the second half of the Denmark Division Relegation Group, there has been an increase in scoring compared to the earlier stages of the season.
Explore the following stats below:
- Brand IF and Skive IK ended in a 2-2 score.
- 83% of the first goal being scored after 30 minutes of play.
- 99% of probability of the home team scoring in the second half.
Soccer Goal Trends Statistics
In 2023, an interesting soccer trend has been the rise of high-scoring matches. Matches have seen an increase in scoring, with an average of 3.5 goals per game compared to 2.8 goals the previous season.
Top goal scorers set excellent records, averaging 1.2 goals per game, displaying their exceptional scoring ability. Check out the statistics below to learn more about goal trends to help you identify your next game predictions.
9. 69% of goals were open play, the highest in the past four world cup tournaments (2010-2014, 2018-2022).
Open-play goals accounted for 69% of total goals, the highest among the past four tournaments. Counter-attacks and throw-in goals were less common, and only two direct free-kicks were scored.
Interestingly, only 39% of open-play shots were from outside the box, marking a notable decrease compared to the following previous tournaments:
- 2018: 48%
- 2014: 49%
- 2010: 55%
10. Of the 167 goals from English Premier League, 87% were made inside the penalty area.
(The Sport’s Journal)
Research has analyzed goal-scoring positions on the pitch. 90% were scored inside the penalty area in the 1986 World Cup.
Here are the following goal stats in English Premier League which scored inside the penalty area:
- 80% scored in the 1990 World Cup
- 44.4% goals in the 2004 European Championship
This statistic suggests that teams prioritize creating chances in the most dangerous area of the pitch, where they have a higher probability of converting their attempts into goals.
11. 31 out of 172 goals were scored in the opening 30 minutes of World Cup 2022.
Throughout 30 minutes of opening time, there were only 31 overall scores out of 172 across the entire month of action, revealing a low goal count.
Comparing the goal distribution between 45 and 75 minutes shows almost double the number of goals within a 30-minute timeframe, highlighting a pattern. This trend of fewer goals in the opening period holds when comparing recent World Cups.
12. There was a consistent average of over 2.5 goals in Premier League matches.
Regardless of the season, the Premier League consistently maintains an average of more than two goals per game. However, betting on Over 2.5 goals in every match does not guarantee a win, but statistically, you’re likely to have more wins than losses.
Since it’s an average, there will still be instances of the following:
- Goalless draws (0-0)
- Liverpool may triumph over Manchester United with a 5-0 scoreline at Old Trafford.
However, the scores will balance over time, and the average will hold.
Soccer goal statistics for the first and second halves provide key insights into match dynamics and outcomes. These statistics are crucial in analyzing team performance, finding patterns, and forecasting match outcomes.
The statistics above reveal which high-scoring half teams do better or worse in specific halves, allowing tactical modifications to improve performance.
Frequently Ask Questions
Are more goals scored in the first or second half?
Usually, a game’s second half contains more goals than its first.
What is the first-half and second-half stats?
The First Half stats are the number of games in which a team’s first half had more goals than its second half, and vice-versa for second-half stats.
Why are there more goals in the second half?
Tenacious defenses are breached in the second half, and attackers can eventually plot a path to the goal.
Which league has more goals in the second half?
Germany Verbandsliga with 419 goals out of 200 total matches.