Have you ever wondered what the most valuable sports teams in the world are? Maybe you want to know if your favorite team is one of them?
We’ve compiled a list of the most popular sports’ wealthiest teams. Keep reading below to find out which teams made the list.
Top 10 Statistics About The Most Valuable Sports Teams
- The Dallas Cowboys are worth $5.7 billion.
- The New York Yankees are worth an astonishing $5.25 billion.
- The NY Knicks value is estimated at $5 billion, thus the most valuable NBA team.
- Real Madrid’s worth of $4.24 makes it the richest soccer club in the world.
- The New York Rangers top the list of richest NHL teams, with $1.65 billion.
- Golden State Warriors net worth of $4.7 billion, up to 2nd place in the NBA.
- The LA Lakers’ worth of $4.6 billion, thus 3rd in the NBA and 5th in all sports.
- Six Super Bowls helped New England Patriots reach $4.4 billion.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs rank 2nd on the list of most valued NHL teams.
- The Boston Bruins take the last spot of the most valued teams in the NHL.
The Most Valuable NFL Teams
The NFL is arguably the most popular league in the US. Super Bowl 54 drew over 100 million viewers, the highest watched broadcast of 2020. Due to that popularity, many of the richest sports teams come from the NFL. Let’s take a look at the top five:
1. The Dallas Cowboys’ worth is a whopping $5.7 billion, making it the most valued team in the world.
(Statista, Sportscasting, Forbes)
Often called the “America’s team,” Dallas Cowboys are the richest NFL team. But it doesn’t stop there. The Cowboys are the most valued team in the world across all sports.
The team generated the highest revenue in 2019, with a staggering $980 million. Additionally, the Cowboys earned $425 million in operating income.
Finally, they have won five Super Bowl titles, with the most recent one in 1996.
2. With six super bowls in the last 20 years, New England Patriots’ worth in 2020 reached $4.4 billion.
(Statista, Forbes, NBC Sports)
The Patriots’ six titles under coach Bill Belichick in less than 20 years have helped the team reach second place. Tom Brady, the player with the most Super Bowl rings, won six with the Patriots. The teams’ revenue in 2019 was $630 million with an operating income of $250 million.
3. The New York Giants’ net worth is the 3rd highest at $4.3 billion, increasing by 10% from the year before.
Even if they haven’t been successful on the field, the 3rd highest-ranked team, the Giants, have been doing pretty well off it.
The team increased in value by 10% compared to the year before, and it generated $168 million in operating income, making them one of the most valuable football clubs in 2020.
4. The Los Angeles Rams are the 4th richest NFL team.
(Forbes, Forbes, Statista, USA today)
With a value of $4 billion, the Rams are 4th on our list. When the team moved to L.A. from St.Louis before the 2016 season, it saw its value doubled from $1.45 to $2.9 billion, and it’s been climbing ever since.
And with a new $5 billion stadium set to welcome fans on the opening day in 2021, we won’t be surprised to see the Rams higher up in the NFL teams’ net worth rankings next year.
5. The San Francisco 49ers net worth increased by 9% in 2020 to reach $3.8 billion.
The final spot in the top 5 is for the 49ers. The team was just short of $4 billion, but they saw an increase of 9% and an operating income of $126 million. The team is one of the most successful franchises with five titles and two Super Bowl appearances in the last ten years.
The Most Valuable NBA Teams
Many of us love basketball and the NBA for its fast pace, spectacular dunks, and buzzer-winning shots. Let’s take a look at the richest basketball teams and what they’re worth.
1. The NY Knicks’ value is estimated at $5 billion, making it the most valued NBA team.
The Knicks’ net worth makes them the most valued NBA team. Real estate in New York is a crucial factor.
The team has not seen much success on the court in recent history — but off the court, it’s the real MVP. The Knicks generated $421 million in revenue in the 2019/20 season, the 2nd highest in the NBA.
2. The Golden State Warriors’ value of $4.7 billion moves them to 2nd place in the NBA and 4th in overall sports.
(Statista, NBC Sports)
In 2010, the Warriors’ net worth was valued at $450 million. Fast forward 11 years, and their value has increased over 1000%, moving them to 2nd place. How did they achieve such a feat? Well, three titles in five finals have surely helped.
Great drafts, like the two-time MVP Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green, created a title contender for multiple years. On top of all that, the team generated $474 million in revenue, which is the NBA’s best.
3. The L.A. Lakers’ net worth of $4.6 billion places them 3rd in the NBA, and 5th in all sports.
With 17 championships, the Lakers are one of the most successful and recognized franchises in the NBA. Legends such as Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, and now Lebron James have all worn the yellow jersey.
Having a star-packed team and being in arguably one of the most famous cities in the world is guaranteed to bring money. That is why the Lakers are one of the most valuable sports teams in the world.
4. With a value of $3.3 billion, the Chicago Bulls are the 4th richest basketball team.
There is a big gap of $1.3 billion between the Lakers and the Bulls. This is primarily due to the lack of success from the side of the Bulls. The team’s fame and golden era came in the 90s when Michael Jordan helped them win six titles in eight years.
5. Boston Celtics’ net worth of $3.2 billion ranked them in the top five.
Tied with the Lakers, the Celtics are one of the most popular teams, with 17 titles. The team was one of the eight original members of the NBA. The team won eight titles in a row between 1958–1966 and the last one in 2008.
The Highest MLB Team Values
The MLB is the oldest professional league in the US and called “America’s pastime.” But while the attendance and interest have been dropping in recent years, baseball team values have stayed up. Let’s take a look at the top five.
1. The New York Yankees’ worth is astonishing $5.25 billion.
The Yankees are arguably the most famous baseball team. Home to sports legends like Babe Ruth, the team is a symbol of the game. And its value matches that. The Yankees’ net worth grew by 5% from the year before, which makes it the 2nd most valuable team globally.
2. The 2020 World Series Champions, L.A. Dodgers, were the 2nd most valuable team.
Valued at $3.57 billion, the L.A. Dodgers held on to 2nd place. 2020 was a challenging year, but the team saw success and became the World Series Champions for the first time since 1988. And even with a shorter season and no fans, the team’s value still increased by 5%.
3. The Boston Red Sox net worth grew to $3.47 billion.
The Red Sox and Fenway Park are iconic of the MLB. After a long pause from 1918 to 2004, the team has won four World Series since then. This success helped the team rank high in value, growing by 5% in the last year.
4. Chicago Cubs’ net worth of $3.36 billion puts them in 4th place.
The Chicago Cubs famously waited over 100 years between championships, the last two in 1908 and 2016. With that 2016 win, the pressure was lifted, and the value of the team increased. The Cubs also rose in value by 5% last year, even without that many fans.
5. The San Francisco Giants are the last of the baseball teams with a value of a bit over $3 billion.
The Giants are worth $3.18 billion, making them the 5th wealthiest team and the last franchise on the list valued at over $3 billion. The team value rose by 2% in the previous year.
The Most Valuable NHL Teams
Most of us love the fast pace of the NHL. However, even though the NHL is widely popular and many people’s favorite league, it’s not doing that well money-wise. Many teams dropped in value over the last year. Let’s take a look at the top five.
1. The New York Rangers top the richest NHL teams list with $1.65 billion.
The Rangers are the richest NHL team, valued at $1.65 billion, with no change in value from the last year. The team earned $225 million in revenue and $87 million in operating income in 2020.
2. The Toronto Maple Leafs rank 2nd on the most valuable NHL teams list.
The Maple Leafs are the first Canadian team on our list. The franchise was worth $1.5 billion in 2020, with $223 million in revenue and an operating income of $56 million. Unfortunately, the Maple Leafs didn’t grow in value year over year.
3. Another Canadian team, the Montreal Canadiens, makes the list of most valuable NHL teams.
With a value of $1.34 billion, the Canadiens are the 3rd most valuable team in the NHL. The team did not see a change in value during the last year either. However, they did tie with the Rangers for the highest income of $87 million.
4. The Chicago Blackhawks ranks 4th on the richest NHL teams list.
The Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup three times in the last ten years and more recently than any other team on the list. The team is valued at just over a billion, with $1.085 billion in value, which shows no change from last year.
5. The Boston Bruins take the last spot on the list of the most valued sports teams in the NHL.
Like the Blackhawks, the Bruins have won the Stanley Cup in the last ten years. Boston takes the final spot on our list with a value of exactly $1 billion. Like all the other NHL teams, the Bruins did not see a change in value.
The Most Valuable Soccer Teams
Soccer, or football, as it’s primarily known worldwide, is the most popular sport in the world. Some of the richest sports clubs in the world are soccer clubs. The sport is gaining popularity in the US, and the MLS is the fastest-growing league. Let us break down the most valuable ones.
1. Real Madrid’s net worth of $4.24 makes it the wealthiest soccer club in the world.
(Statista, Real Madrid)
Real Madrid is the richest soccer team in the world in terms of net worth. The club is the most successful team in Spain and has won the Champions League (soccer’s biggest trophy) 13 times, the most of all teams. The team has been voted the best team of the 20th century.
2. At $4.021 billion, Barcelona ranks 2nd on the list of most valuable soccer teams.
Real Madrid’s arch-rival, Barcelona, ranks 2nd. The team has seen the most success in the last 15 years due to having one of the best players in the world, Leo Messi. Barcelona did beat Real Madrid in terms of revenue, with $715.1 million compared to Real’s $691.8 million.
3. Manchester United has a worth of $3.808 billion, which puts the team in 3rd place.
English club Manchester United is one of the most recognized clubs globally and arguably the most successful in England. The team has ranked 1st in the world many times over the last 20 years. The team’s revenue in 2020 was $580.4 million.
4. German powerhouse, Bayern Munich, is also one of the wealthiest soccer teams, worth over $3 billion.
(Statista, Statista, FCBayern)
Bayern Munich has dominated German soccer with 30 German Championship titles (the closest rival has 9). The team is one of the most successful in Europe and is the current Champions League winner.
The team generated $634.1 million in revenue last year, ranking above Manchester United.
5. One of the richest sports teams in the world, Manchester City made up the top 5 with $2.688 billion in value.
Manchester City’s fortunes turned around in 2008 when a wealthy royal family from Abu Dhabi purchased the team. Since then, the team has been dominating English football. Unfortunately, Manchester City hasn’t been successful internationally.
How is a sports teams worth determined?
The most significant factor for valuation is supply and demand. Most people make money when they sell the team, and as the number of buyers that bid increases, so does the price. Real estate also plays a significant role.
On the other hand, factors like revenue and profitability are not as important.
Which teams have the lowest NFL team values?
The lowest valued teams in the NFL for 2020 were the Cincinnati Bengals, valued at $2 billion, Buffalo Bills with a $2.05 billion value, and Detroit Lions, valued at $2.1 billion. The three teams were the only ones that didn’t increase in value last year.
Who is the wealthiest and most valuable team owner?
Mukesh Ambani, the owner of the Indian cricket team Mumbai Indians, is the richest sports team owner with an estimated wealth of $77 billion. Steve Ballmer, the owner of the L.A. Clippers, is the wealthiest owner in the US, with an estimated wealth of $71.9 billion.
What are the lowest team values across US major leagues?
From the “big four” leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL), all of the lowest valued teams come from the NHL. The Arizona Coyotes, with a value of $285 million, take the last spot, followed by the Florida Panthers ($295 million) and Columbus Blue Jackets, with a value of $310 million.
What are the most valuable teams in the MLS?
According to the latest data available, Atlanta United is the most valued MLS team with an estimated value of $500 million. That is followed by L.A. Galaxy with $480 million and L.A.F.C with a value of $475 million.
What are the most valuable sports teams in auto racing?
Even though it’s not as popular in the US as NASCAR, F1 teams take the auto racing world’s top spots. Ferrari led the way with $1.35 billion, Mercedes took the second spot with $1.02 billion, and Red Bull Racing is in the top three with $640 billion.
We can all safely agree that there is a lot of money in sports. While most valuable sports teams are in the US, international soccer powerhouses, like Real Madrid and Barcelona, are right there at the top.
Did your team make a list? If not, there is always next year.