Gaming industry statistics clearly show that video games in all their forms are here to stay.
If you want to get immersed in the exciting world of this electronic art form, take a look at our list of the most exciting gaming-related figures and statistics.
The Top 10 Video Gaming Industry Statistics
- The entire global gaming market was worth around $162.32 billion in 2020.
- Steam had 30,000 games to offer in 2019.
- Nintendo is the largest game company financially, with a net value of over $85 billion.
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has a Metacritic score of 99/100.
- Available gaming stats indicate that there are 3.1 billion gamers across the globe.
- Free-to-play games bring around 85% of the revenue for the industry.
- Around 74% of parents think that video games can be educational for their children.
- 38% of US gamers are 18 to 34-year-olds.
- 22% of online gamers spend 61% to 80% of their time playing multiplayer games.
- Women over 65 are more likely to be gamers than men of the same age.
Current Video Gaming Industry Trends
We all love our games, but how often have you thought about the numbers behind the scenes and how the industry is evolving?
Continue reading to find out.
1. The entire global gaming market worth is around $162.32 billion in 2020 according to gaming industry statistics.
Projected statistics for the 2021–2026 period reveal that the market’s total worth will reach $295.63 billion by 2026.
It is expected to have quite an impressive CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 10.5% over the forecast period.
2. The video gaming statistics reveal that the revenue of the industry was expected to top $159 billion in 2020.
In terms of the gaming industry revenue in 2020, the most significant growth was projected in mobile gaming, with $77.2 billion in revenue.
This amounted to a 13.3% increase from 2019.
According to the report, the only sector within the industry that was to expect revenue loss is the sector of browser-based games.
3. Steam had 30,000 games to offer in 2019.
When looking at available gaming statistics, it boasts pretty impressive numbers.
Even this older Steam stat is nothing to scoff at, especially if we consider the fact that those are all stand-alone games, i.e., the number doesn’t include downloadable content (DLC) packs, additional software, and videos.
4. In 2020, 9,974 games were released on Steam.
The largest digital PC game distribution platform boasted quite impressive statistics on gaming in previous years as well.
For example, in 2019, 7,973 games were released on the platform. In 2018, 8,181 were released, while 6,265 in 2017 according to PC gaming statistics.
5. US gamers spent 45% more time playing video games during the first week of the COVID-19 outbreak, as per statistics on video gaming.
According to Hollywood Reporter, similar growth was recorded in France with 38%, 29% in the UK, and 20% in Germany.
As it turns out, the outbreak might even fuel the gaming industry growth, as online play also increased after the outbreak.
In the US, 29% of gamers played more online. In the UK, 17% stated that they’ve spent more time playing online with their friends, and 12% said the same in France.
6. Gaming industry facts show that Nintendo is the largest video game company in terms of revenue, boasting a net value of over $85 billion.
Other heavy-hitter companies include the Valve Corporation, Rockstar Games, Electronic Arts, Activision Blizzard, Sony Computer Entertainment, and Ubisoft.
These companies are responsible for driving video gaming trends by incorporating the latest tech solutions and releasing some of the most anticipated AAA games each year.
7. Nintendo’s Pokemon is the highest-grossing video game franchise of all time.
Video gaming statistics reveal it grossed over $90 billion, followed by Super Mario (also from Nintendo) with $30.25 billion. Third on the list is Activision’s first-person shooter, Call of Duty, with $17 billion.
8. Globally, 87% of gamers are frustrated because of slow game downloads based on the latest gaming facts.
This is the biggest problem of 32% of gamers worldwide.
The issue is most prevalent in India, with 94% of gamers expressing dissatisfaction with download speeds, errors, or interruptions.
9. According to critics and gaming industry trends, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the best game of all time, with an overall Metacritic score of 99/100.
The game also holds a 9.2/10 rating among players.
The game is followed by Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 with a Metacritic score of 98/100 and a slightly less favorable rating from users (7.4/10).
Where are the most gamers around the world?
Who likes to play most?
In the following statistics, we’ll discuss these questions and much more.
10. Gamer stats reveal there are roughly 3.1 billion gamers across the globe.
When looking at a more precise breakdown, there are around 1.42 billion gamers in Asia, 383 million in Latin America, 261 million North American gamers, and approximately 668 million gamers across Europe.
11. In 2018, the average age of gamers was 34 in the US, according to gamer statistics.
(ESA, LimeLight, Filmora Wondershare)
However, when taking a closer look at the latest information on video gaming demographics, it’s easy to see that the largest group of online gamers (29%) fall in the 46–60 years old category.
On the other hand, 43% of gamers on the global scale are 36 or older.
12. The vast majority of those playing online (58.7%) are casual gamers according to online gaming facts.
On the other hand, interesting facts about gaming show that 21.7% were totally new to the online gaming scene in 2020.
16.6% were considered experts, and 3.1% were recognized as aspiring professionals.
13. One of the most unusual professional racing careers started with buying a
$348 (£250) racing simulator rig.
(BBC, World’s Fastest Gamer, The Race)
People looking for interesting gamer facts often come across the story of James Baldwin.
He is now a professional British GT driver, even though he started out as a casual sim racer in 2017 by playing a rather challenging racing simulator, Project Cars.
14. Free-to-play games are the most popular option for gamers and non-gamers based on the latest gaming industry stats.
These free-to-play games drive more than 85% of the industry’s total revenue.
This shouldn’t be shocking, as everybody likes free stuff.
15. 79% of American gamers play games because of mental stimulation.
According to the 2019 ESA survey, 78% of the respondents also pointed out that games help them relax and manage stress.
Gaming industry statistics aren’t always about sales numbers and other figures. It seems that gaming also comes with potential mental health and social benefits.
16. Around 74% of parents think that video games can be educational for their children.
The role of video games in family life has changed. Video gamer demographics, along with survey results, back these claims.
Furthermore, over half (more precisely, 57%) of parents play video games together with their children every week.
17. Vietnam has the highest percentage of gamers, with nearly 94% of the adult population playing occasionally, even through mobile devices.
Saudi Arabia is in the lead when it comes to frequent gamers at 25%.
Furthermore, gaming demographics from the same 2020 survey state that console players are the most populous group in the US.
On the other end of the spectrum, Japan had one of the lowest percentages of gamers among the total population, even though it is traditionally associated with video games.
18. Mobile gaming statistics show that there were around 200 million mobile gamers in the US in 2019.
Mobile gaming trends have been keeping pace with all the advancements in technology.
According to forecasts, the number of mobile online gamers in the Southeast Asia region was supposed to reach a staggering 250 million by the end of 2020 as per mobile gaming demographics.
19. The largest age group of US gamers is the 18 to 34-year-olds, who make up 38% of the country’s total gamers.
The second-largest group is the category of 35 to 54-year-olds, accounting for 26%. Following them are gamers under 18 at 21%.
According to gamer age demographics in the US, some 9% are in the 55–64 group.
The smallest category is gamers over 65, who only make up 6%.
20. Women over 65 are more likely to be gamers than men of the same age, according to female gamer demographics.
While 63% of women older than 65 who took part in a 2020 survey responded they played video games for at least ten years, only 46% of men could say the same.
When it comes to the younger population, 78% of women aged 35 to 54 play games on smartphones.
Arcade games were listed as one of their favorite genres by 40% of the respondents, family games by 37%, and action games by 30%.
Video Gaming Addiction Statistics
It’s all fun and games until it starts affecting your life negatively. Here are some of the most shocking statistics regarding addiction to gaming.
21. Video gaming addiction facts show that gaming addiction is a real thing and is most common among the youngest generations.
More precisely, around 8.4% of children and teenagers are gaming addicts, with 11%–12% prevalence among boys and 6%–7% among girls.
22. In the US, facts about gaming addiction reveal that 94% of gaming addicts are men, and only 6% are women.
(The Recovery Village)
Truth be told, gaming industry statistics don’t always mention the “dark side” of gaming.
However, it needs to be said that, according to available evidence, men between the ages of 18 and 24 are most prone to developing an addiction.
When looking at the ethnicity breakdown of people at risk of becoming addicted, Caucasians are the most numerous with 69%, followed by Asians, with 13%. The remaining 18% are a blend of other ethnicities.
23. When it comes to online gaming addiction statistics, only a low percentage of the general population fits the criteria as addicted.
(The Recovery Village)
Internet gaming addiction stats indicate that around 0.3% to 1% of the population can be considered online game addicts in the US, Canada, UK, and Germany.
24. Online gaming industry statistics reveal that Fortnite, League of Legends, and World of Warcraft are considered to be among the most addictive games.
(The Recovery Village)
Multiplayer online gaming data shows that around 22% of online gamers spend a staggering 61% to 80% of their time playing multiplayer games.
Based on gaming addiction statistics, experts have established a connection between addiction and depression.
Namely, a study found that 9% of elementary and secondary school students who are game addicts use the digital realm as a coping mechanism to fight anxiety and depression.
How popular is the gaming industry?
Without a doubt, the gaming industry is enormous. According to the Entertainment Software Association, in the US alone, there were roughly 214.4 million gamers in 2020.
On the other hand, reports from WePC indicate that the entire gaming industry’s market worth was a staggering $159.3 billion on a global scale.
Who is the #1 gamer in the world?
(Lineups, Vocal Media, Forbes)
If we look at YouTube gaming trends and rankings, PewDiePie had the most subscribers (105 million), generating $15 million.
Another YouTuber, Jacksepticeye, had only 24.1 million subscribers, but his earnings are estimated at around $30 million.
On the other hand, you might be more impressed by people who earned their fame exclusively thanks exclusively to their gaming skills and not their followers.
In that case, the better answer for you might be someone like the famous Starcraft: Brood War player Jaedong or first-person shooters champion Jonathan Wendel.
Finally, if you only want to look at the financial aspects, gaming statistics from Forbes reveal that Tyler Blevins, a.k.a Ninja, was the highest-earning gamer in 2019.
He not only managed to land substantial sponsorship deals with major brands but his partnership with Microsoft also greatly influenced the online gaming landscape.
Is PC gaming bigger than console?
Data from 2020 reveals that there are around 3.1 billion gamers worldwide. Nearly half (48%) play on PCs, making them a more popular choice than consoles.
However, the DFC study that researched the market also claims that the old PC vs. console mindset is outdated.
PC gaming vs. console gaming statistics from the study show that only 8% of the gamers identified as console-only players, indicating that most gamers play cross-platform nowadays.
What is the average age of a gamer?
(ESA, ESA, Statista)
In the US in 2020, the average age range of a gamer was between 35 and 44.
Also, according to a 2018 ESA study on US gaming industry statistics, the average US gamer is 34 years old.
On the global scale, the largest percentage of gamers (35%) are in the 21–35 years age bracket.
Which country has the biggest gaming industry?
Based on 2020 data, it’s safe to say that China is the biggest gaming market with a revenue of $40.85 billion, followed by the United States with $36.92 billion in annual revenue.
Which country has the most gamers?
Percentage-wise, the latest data suggests that Vietnam has the most gamers globally, with around 94% of the adult population playing either on occasion or frequently.
This is followed by Nigeria with 83% and the Philippines with 77% gamers.
How many gamers are there in the world?
According to the most recent DFC study, there are around 3.1 billion gamers across the globe.
However, it’s hard to accurately assess every aspect of gaming industry statistics and determine the exact number of active gamers.
This is partly because people who spend a lot of time playing games on their mobile phones won’t necessarily identify even as occasional gamers and don’t always end up in the mobile gaming stats.
As you can see from the gaming numbers presented here, this gigantic industry went through a lot.
From facing scrutiny because of the allegations that violent video games induce violent behavior to claims of their potential to cause addiction, video games have come far. They actually managed to become a family pastime along the way.
We hope that these gaming industry statistics have helped you learn something new and gain respect for the giant strides it’s taken along the way.