Whether you’re just curious or developing a strategy, we’ve put together the latest casino industry statistics you need to know.
Different historians and sociologists believe that various forms of gambling have existed throughout human history. Casinos stand as an embodiment of all that is attractive about gambling — thrill, glamour, luck, adrenaline, and, of course, money.
Keep reading to find out more!
Top 10 Casino Industry Statistics
- Edward O. Thorp is considered to be the most successful gambler in the world.
- In 2020, the casino industry revenue (including online gambling) reached $227 billion.
- Stats show that around ten million Americans are gambling addicts.
- The average UK gambler is 55-64 years old.
- Casino industry trends show the online gambling market was worth $53.7 billion in 2019.
- 70 out of 100 casinos are introducing skill-based games to attract younger players.
- 61% of casino visitors choose slot machines as their favorite, according to statistics.
- Only 2-3% of casino addicts self-report, according to recent casino addiction facts.
- Research suggests that 75% of US gambling addicts have problems with alcohol.
- Gen X is the target audience for 50% of casinos in the following period.
Basic Casino Industry Facts and Numbers to Keep in Mind
Before we get into a more detailed analysis of the casino industry’s current state, let’s quickly go over some basics. Here is what you need to know about the size, popularity, and expansion of casinos worldwide!
1. The US is home to 2,157 casinos, making it the global number one, according to casino statistics.
(World Casino Directory)
Not surprisingly, Nevada has 360 fully operating casinos — all those Elvis impersonators have to work somewhere!
The second place is taken by Romania with 310 casinos. Canada comes in third with 216, and Mexico follows closely with 212 casinos.
2. Casino facts reveal that the world’s oldest casino was opened in 1638 in Venice.
You’ve read well — Casino di Venezia is turning 383 this year. To this day, the casino offers the latest table games and everything you’d expect to find in any major casino, except Texas hold’em.
3. Casino industry statistics show that the online gambling market was worth $53.7 billion in 2019.
(Grand View Research)
The estimates were that the online gambling industry will grow at an 11.5% CAGR in the period 2020-2027.
However, it is worth mentioning that this was done before the coronavirus pandemic shook the market. We are yet to see its consequences.
4. In 2020, the casino industry revenue (including online gambling) reached $227 billion.
Just the online gambling industry brought in $66.67 to the total industry revenue for 2020.
Despite the crisis, there were around 4,800 businesses that provided jobs for 1,122,574 people. Still, it should be noted that casinos often offer various services to their clients, so this number includes different professions, like bartenders, hoteliers, and waiters.
5. In 2019, there were near 200,000 slot machines in Las Vegas alone, according to the Las Vegas casino facts.
Las Vegas became popular due to its ever-flourishing gambling tourism. Its first official casino was licensed in 1931. Moreover, estimates from 2019 show that the average budget tourists have when gambling in LV is $541 per visit.
6. Casino industry facts show that the first five casinos ever opened are still in business.
Apart from the Casino di Venezia, four more European casinos opened from 1763 to 1856, which remain profitable to this day.
They used to attract aristocracy and artists, and this exclusivity is present even now. They combine modern gambling with classical woodwork designs and crystal chandeliers. All of those details ensure that their customers feel classy spending their money away.
7. Native American casino statistics show that employment rates go up by 26% after a casino opens.
In addition to this, the number of working poor goes down by 14%. These positive changes help bring young people and tribe members back to reservations, which means that various social changes happen after at least four years of operation.
8. 61% of casino visitors choose slot machines as their favorite, according to recent casino industry statistics.
This makes slot machines the king of casino games, leaving blackjack and roulette behind. However, slot machines are not as popular in Asian casinos. The first place in Asia is held by a popular card game called baccarat.
9. The worldwide casino industry growth is supposed to continue at a CAGR rate of 5.14%.
In the language of money, this means that the market will grow from $6,247.75 million to $8,443.56 million in the period 2019-2025.
Casino Demographics — Who Goes To Casinos?
The young, old, married, single, men, women, and much more — there are many different types of people you can meet in a casino. Below are some more precise numbers about them and who you can encounter during your next visit.
10. An American math professor, Edward O. Thorp, is considered the most successful gambler in the world.
(Best US Casinos)
Don’t get your hopes up — one of the well-known casino fun facts is that some of the techniques he used are now forbidden and can get you banned from a casino if you’re caught using them.
Still, he wrote a book called Beat the Dealer. In it he explains the mathematical intricacies and applications of probability theory to card counting. A recommended reading if you’re into numbers, math, and getting rich.
11. Recent casino trends show that 75% of Americans have had experience with gambling.
(Online Casinos Elite)
With 48 states that have legalized some kind of gambling activities, this doesn’t sound surprising.
And while gambling addiction is a lurking problem. The numbers show that most people do this once in a while just for fun (especially those living in or near Las Vegas).
12. The average UK gambler is 55-64 years old.
Additional casino facts and statistics from 2018 show that men are more likely to gamble — 51% of men and 41% of women have gambled, with the National Lottery being the most popular activity.
13. Casino stats show that around ten million Americans are gambling addicts.
(Online Casinos Elite) (Recovery Village)
It is a thin line between having some innocent fun and becoming obsessed.
The most common signs of gambling addiction are borrowing money, being overly defensive, or having fits of anger when discussing gambling. In more severe cases, unexplained absences are also frequent.
Gambling addiction can happen to anyone. Even top athlete Charles Barkley has admitted to his habit, losing more than $10 million.
14. 70 out of 100 casinos are introducing skill-based games to attract younger players.
According to casino gaming trends, this will expand their player demographic by 46%. Different evaluations have shown that 67% of them believe that this move will solve the problem casinos have with your audience that gets bored by luck-based games.
15. Recent research suggests that 75% of US gambling addicts have problems with alcohol.
(Online Casinos Elite)
Addictive behaviors often go hand in hand and, since most casinos have bars, alcohol addiction doesn’t seem unlikely. Apart from this, some 38% report drug problems, while 20% commit or try to commit suicide.
16. Only 2-3% of casino addicts self-report, according to recent casino addiction facts.
The actual severity of gambling problems remains unclear since the numbers rely on self-reporting.
As with other addictive behaviors, those who succumb to gambling are in denial and often bring their families down with them, which in return causes several other social problems.
17. Gen X is the target audience for 50% of casinos in the following period.
One of the well-known casino industry facts is that their target clientele is, naturally, aging. Thus, it comes as no surprise that casinos base their strategies on attracting fun-seeking Gen X-ers to stay relevant.
What is the largest casino company in the world?
With a stunning revenue of $11.69 billion a year, Las Vegas Sands comes in the first place. For comparison, MGM Vacation takes second place with ‘only’ $9.2 billion in revenue.
While the first two spots are held by US companies, Chinese Galaxy Entertainment Group and SJM Holdings take the following two, with $6.6 billion and $6.34 billion, respectively.
(Top 10 of Anything and Everything)
How much does the average person lose in a casino?
The average daily loss made on slot machines is $185. Table games, on the other hand, generate an average loss of $3,737.
These are just the average losses of the aforementioned Las Vegas Sands to get some idea of the answer. This greatly depends on the person’s financial stability and venue.
What are the odds of winning money at a casino?
The odds are 37 to 1, on average. This may vary due to different factors such as game type, the player’s experience, and, of course, luck. But one thing is certain — the casino will win your money for sure, but your chances to win the casino’s money are still not 0.
There have been some impressive wins like Amy Nishimura, who turned her $100 investment to $9 million in three hours.
What is the most money ever lost in a casino?
The most money ever lost in a casino was $75 million that a local businessman left in one Singaporean casino.
The number is shocking. However, since he was recently featured on the Forbes 40 list of wealthiest people in Singapore, it may not have been such a shock to him.
What is the profit margin of casinos?
Anywhere from 1% to 25%, depending on the type of game. For example, for every million dollars placed as a bet on roulette, the casino will get some $50,000.
This may not look as much, but then again, casinos want their visitors to actually win something, making sure they come back.
All in all, casino lights will probably shine on the streets of Las Vegas for years to come. According to our casino industry statistics list, their charm and the ability to lure people will grow every year.